Many clients turn to an accountant for tax-related issues. But if a complicated tax issue or tax controversy arises, like an IRS audit, an experienced tax attorney should be consulted to ensure that you are protected.
The Tax Practice Group at Wood & Lamping represents individuals and businesses in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky in a variety of federal and state tax controversy matters. Howard L. Richshafer chairs the Tax Practice Group. Howard has practiced tax law for over thirty years. He was formerly a federal agent with IRS/U.S. Treasury. He is also a licensed CPA and an adjunct lecturer at the University of Cincinnati where he teaches numerous advanced tax courses in the MBA and undergraduate programs. Howard was named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Cincinnati Litigation and Controversy – Tax “Lawyer of the Year.” He was also honored as Best Lawyers® 2014 Cincinnati Tax “Lawyer of the Year.”  Martindale-Hubbell rated Howard “AV Preeminent,” which is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards. That rating is the pinnacle of professional excellence earned through a strenuous process managed by the world’s most trusted legal resource. Howard has authored more than 100 tax articles including a manual on Ohio limited liability companies, which he co-authored. He is also the author of the chapter titled “Deductions for Profit-Motivated Activities,” which appears in Lexis-Nexis®’ online Federal Tax Research Library platform. Howard has also been included on the Best Lawyers® list each year since 2001 and the Ohio Super Lawyers® list from 2004 to 2008 and 2010 to 2014.
The Tax Practice Group dedicates decades of experience and knowledge of tax law to every case. This allows our tax attorneys to look at every case from multiple angles and to plan a strategy to resolve tax issues in the most efficient, systematic, and creative way possible. We also stay on top of the ever-changing tax laws, Treasury regulations, judicial cases, and IRS administrative pronouncements to avoid entanglement in governmental and IRS loopholes that delay resolution.
Specifically, Wood & Lamping’s Tax Practice Group can help individuals and businesses with the following civil and criminal tax matters:
- IRS Civil and Criminal investigations.
- IRS Audits, involving individuals or businesses.
- IRS Collection Investigations involving delinquent taxes, levies, liens, seizures.
- Offers in Compromise Applications with IRS and Ohio.
- Negotiating Instalment Payment Agreements with IRS.
- Negotiating criminal plea agreements with IRS or U.S. Attorney’s Offices.
- Pre- and post-indictment processes.
- Inability to pay tax liabilities.
- Tax refund litigation.
- United States Tax Court litigation.
- Tax controversies with local tax authorities, and the states of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.
- Administrative Appeals of audit findings (as far as the Supreme Court, if necessary).
- Resolving issues arising from errors made by an accountant or CPA.
- Defaults on tax liabilities.
- Tax benefits of business structuring/re-structuring.
- Tax Research on contemplated or completed transactions.
- Legal Opinion Letters concerning federal or state tax issues.
- Expert Witness testimony in federal criminal or civil tax cases.
- Tax Issues involving federal income taxes, estate taxes, employment taxes, gift taxes, and excise taxes.